Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Glenrothes "select reserve"




Ok, so for my first review, I'll be sampling a whisky by the artisan style distillery The Glenrothes.  Before I get into the tasting notes though, I'd like to give you a little info on The Glenrothes. The Glenrothes Distillery lies on a tributary of the river Spey in Scotland. Speyside is universally acknowledged as the heartland of
single malt whisky distillation.  This distillery is well known within the industry for supplying their malts for blends and independant bottlers.  Only 2% of their very best stock gets bottled as their own with their own branding.  2%??? wow,this stuff must be pretty good huh?  Their vintage bottlings have become favourites of so many people around the world.  These vintage years include 1975/1978/1985/1987/1991.  The variation I will be tasting today is the Select Reserve.  The Select Reserve is actually a blend from a mixture of  their vintage years........ lets taste away!!


bottled at 40%

appearence:      light gold/ honey

nose:      lemon / orange zest       hints of tequilla

palate:    evident that we are dealing with a very young whisky.  spicy and nutty. more citrus coming through.

finish: dry and quick. not a whole lot going on here!

As a whole, I was pretty dissapointed with the Select Reserve. To be honest with you, I was put off from the get go with the nosing of the whisky.  I got stong hints of what seemed to be tequilla...... I have never come across this during the nosing of any whisky.  These are the types of whiskies one should go to when trying to build their palate, but sadly, this turned out to be one whisky I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend.   Right then, time to give it a mark I suppose!

6.5/10  ...... very dissapointing from the Glenrothes on this one.



Thanks for checking out my review!  Until the next dram!

No comments:

Post a Comment