Monday, January 3, 2011

Johnnie Walker Black Label






I know..... by this point I've already left you malt fanatics up in arms by this one photo.  How dare he!! A blend??  He wouldn't!!!  He couldn't!!!!  GASP!!!!  Now don't get your knickers in a bunch.  Yes, I'm going to distract myself for a minute to review one of my favorites. Yes I said it..... Even though my heart belongs to the single malts from Speyside, Islay, the Highlands and so on, I feel compelled to review this blended whisky, which I feel gets no love amongst malt heads.  Johnnie Walker Black Label, in my opinion, is the very best blended scotch whisky on the market, no matter the price range.  The fact that one could easily find one of these bottles at their local liquor store for about $40, doesn't hurt either.  For those of you who don't know, Johnnie Walker Black Label is a blended whisky made up of grain whisky and single malt whiskies from across Scotland.  In total, about 40 different malts, including Caol Ila from Islay.  When it comes to single malts, everyone knows I love my Islay malts, and that for me, is what comes through first when sipping this whisky.  However, having said that, Johnnie Walker Black to me, is one of the most balanced whiskies I've tasted.  It has the smoke and hints of peat that you'd expect from an Islay malt, but also the sweetness,fruit and smoothness you'd expect from your favorite Speyside.  Not every one will have the appreciation for a fine single malt whisky, no matter how hard you try. So in saying that, just pour 'em some really good scotch...  pour them Black Label, because you know, deep down, you really like it too.  Let me refresh your memory and give you some of my tasting notes.

Appearance:  AMBER.  Most definitely some caramel added for colour

Nose:  Leather  /  Dried fruits  /  Caramel  / Peat  /  Smoke  / Almonds

Body:  Oily with nice thick legs

Palate:  Smooth vanilla cream  /  Black pepper /  Roasted nuts /  Orange peels  /  Ginger

Finish:  Warm grab of the tongue with a medium-long length /  Smooth Smokiness

7/10
A great blended whisky plain and simple!  I think I'll have another.

No comments:

Post a Comment